Does your website run on green energy?
The internet is the world's largest coal-powered machine. Check if your website runs on green energy — and help make the internet fossil-free.
We work towards a fossil-free internet
The Green Web Foundation is an independent non-profit that tracks how much of the internet runs on green energy. Manage the environmental impact of your digital products. Apply best practices in digital sustainability. Advocate for a more sustainable and just internet.
Are you a hosting provider using green energy? Get verified for free. Your services will be listed in our Green Web Dataset — accessed millions of times a day.
WHAT WE DO
Check if a website runs on 100% green energy. View public evidence of claims. Download our open dataset or use our API.
Meet movement leaders who advocate for a sustainable and just internet and learn how to green their practice.
An online, carbon-aware magazine written by and for people who dream of a sustainable and just internet for all.
Recipient of the Ars Electronica Award for Digital Humanity.
Issue 5: Critical Carbon Computing has just landed!
Documentation on how to use our open source libraries and tools.
Green Web Library
Curated resources about digital sustainability and more.
Green Screen Coalition
Connecting digital rights and climate justice practitioners and funders.
- A Carbon-Aware Internet with the Green Web FoundationUsing real-time data about electricity around the world, we annotated network connections with carbon-intensity. With this information, any digital infrastructure provider can move their compute… A Carbon-Aware Internet with the Green Web Foundation
- Branch Issue 5: Critical Carbon ComputingWe’re thrilled to publish a special issue of Branch Magazine in collaboration with the Critical Carbon Computing Collective. Learn about how computers are used to… Branch Issue 5: Critical Carbon Computing
- WordPress, sustainability and learning in the openAn Interview with Nahuai Badiola, one of our Green Web Fellows 2023. Katrin: Nahuai, how has your Green Web fellowship experience been so far? Nahuai:… WordPress, sustainability and learning in the open
- Die Zeit: “Ist Surfen schmutziger als Fliegen?” (August 2023)
- Hosting Advice: The Green Web Foundation: Promoting a Fossil-Free Internet with Groundbreaking Green Initiatives (July 2023)
- Triple Pundit: It’s Time for the Internet to Become More Sustainable, Says New Coalition (April 2022)
- BBC Digital Planet: How Green Is Our Data? (November 2021)
- Zeit Online: “Ihr Cappuccino hat den gleichen CO₂-Fußabdruck wie zwei Stunden Zoom” (September 2021)
- Gizmodo: The Planet Needs a New Internet (August 2021)